Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Watching B7 DVDs in the U.S.
selden
I'm not at all sure where this post should go, so it's OK if a moderator moves it.

I'm sure this topic must have been discussed on the old Forum, but it seems reasonable to include this information on the new one.

Although they aren't sold in the U.S., it's possible to import the complete set of DVDs from the U.K. Since they use the PAL video standard, though, and are locked to Region 2, stand-alone disc players sold in the U.S. refuse to play them.

One workaround is to invest in a player which has been modified to be Region-Free.

However, the DVDs also are watchable in the U.S. if you have a computer with a DVD drive. Most computer DVD drives can be reconfigured up to 5 times to play discs from any one specific region.

I also recently discovered that at least some models of external USB DVD and Blu-ray disc drives sold in the U.S. are region free when playing DVDs.

I've been watching several UK TV series (which are available only on Region 2 DVDs) on my computer at home. It's a laptop with a USB2 LG/Hitachi Blu-ray drive, The computer is connected by HDMI to an audio/video receiver and a 1080p HDTV. The Blu-ray drive was purchased at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. It has not asked me to change its region.

Also, several of us at work have been watching Les Revenants during lunch using an external Samsung SE-S084D DVD writer. It also does not prompt to have its region changed. (Of course, I'll suggest B7 as our next series!)

Hopefully this information can encourage the B7 fans in the U.S.
Selden

JustBrad
The one caveat with Microsoft systems is that the Windows will only let you switch back and forth between PAL and NTSC a certain number of times. Then you are stuck. It's not the DVD player, it's the software (Windows).

You've hit on a great system if you can have one computer to watch PAL and one to watch NTSC.

If I'm wrong and the external USB DVD plays PAL and NTSC with no limitations, let me know. I'd buy one in a snap.

Digital is Digital. The only reason DVD's don't play the same all over world is distribution and licensing. Sigh...

BradPaula
A multi-regional DVD player always comes in handy. I've bought many British DVD's and can watch them to my heart's content. But that is one thing I have never understood, they've done Doctor Who in American format, Red Dwarf, H2G2 and others, why not Blake's 7? -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

John Johnson
BradPaula wrote:

A multi-regional DVD player always comes in handy. I've bought many British DVD's and can watch them to my heart's content. But that is one thing I have never understood, they've done Doctor Who in American format, Red Dwarf, H2G2 and others, why not Blake's 7? -Paula

Buying a region free Blu ray/DVD player is the way to go. I have one. I tend to go for the UK blu rays over the American ones mostly because of the price. They tend to be cheaper for me. There's also a lot of region free titles available. With blu ray playback, the region setting has to be set via the remote, but with DVD, the player will find it automatically.
As for why it has never been released on R1, it's anyone's guess. Personally, I have given up hope of ever seeing it on R1. The best thing to do is to import them.

Ela
How do you change the region on a PC? I thought I could switch my son's no longer used desktop computer, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. (For that matter, how do you change the region on a Mac? I can probably figure that one out, haven't tried, but I have an old iMac I might be able to use.)

selden wrote:
I also recently discovered that at least some models of external USB DVD and Blu-ray disc drives sold in the U.S. are region free when playing DVDs.

I've been watching several UK TV series (which are available only on Region 2 DVDs) on my computer at home. It's a laptop with a USB2 LG/Hitachi Blu-ray drive, The computer is connected by HDMI to an audio/video receiver and a 1080p HDTV. The Blu-ray drive was purchased at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. It has not asked me to change its region.

I saw an external DVD player on Newegg recently for a very good price. But how can you tell if one is region free?

And you're using an HDMI cable to view it on a TV? Surely the HDMI cable is only needed for that, right? If I wanted to view it on my computer I don't think I would need an HDMI cable.

I do have a family member who says he has a way he can help me view region 2 on my computer, but not sure how soon he would be able to do it.

Also, I've seen some complete B7 sets on ebay, not sure how to know if the sellers are trustworthy. I'm just a little nervous, cause it's a big outlay of money to get the whole series.

Ellen York
Ela wrote:

How do you change the region on a PC? I thought I could switch my son's no longer used desktop computer, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. (For that matter, how do you change the region on a Mac? I can probably figure that one out, haven't tried, but I have an old iMac I might be able to use.)

My laptop is a Windows 8, so it may not be exactly the same depending on what version of Windows you are running. On mine I went to the Control Panel and the clicked on "Device Manager". On the list of devices I clicked DVD-CD Rom player and then the name of the player. That gives the properties of the player and there is a tab for DVD region. That tab gives a list of countries. I selected the Netherlands, since that is where the DVDs were from, and the setting changed to region 2. The catch is that the setting can only be changed a few times before it locks. I have a US DVD player, so I just leave the computer set for region 2.

Ela
My son's computer is a much older version of Windows, but I'll take a look when I have a chance and see if I can change it that way. I don't care about changing back cause no one uses that computer anymore. My son is long since out of the house and working and has his own computer; I don't think he even uses it when he comes home for a visit. And certainly no one is going to use it to watch DVDs, since we have a newer better computer for that.

Ela
I changed my son's computer to region 2, but it's not hooked up to speakers, it turns out, so I have to figure that out.

I'm wondering if there's a downside to changing my own laptop to region 2. I don't ever watch region 1 DVDs on it - I have a DVD player for that. Would changing the region affect other media, like shows and movies downloaded to iTunes?

JustBrad
Changing the region should only affect the DVD player, not any downloaded content. A trip to Radio Shack should provide you with the necessary adaptors to hook up the computer to a stereo system.

I still recommend purchasing a cheap Region Free DVD player from the online retailer of your choice. You won't regret it.

Ela
I did look at some region free players, but not sure where to start in terms of picking one.

JustBrad
I'd start on Amazon, search by 'Average Customer Review' and pick something with four stars in the 50-70 dollar range. Phillips has been a good bet for us.

Ela
Good idea. In the meantime, I lent the DVDs to my nephew, who is going to rip them to a format in which I can view them on the computer without changing my region.

Also, I thought he might enjoy the series. Smile

John Johnson
There are several outlets in the U.S. that sell region free dvd players. One of these is world-import.com. They are located in Illinois. As an ex-pat from the UK living in the U.S., it was important to me to get a good region free player. Hope it helps. Here's the address:

http://www.world-...rter-1.htm

Post edited to make URL clickable.
Edited by BradPaula on 16 April 2015 05:01:34

sweevo
You could try acquiring a portable digital media player, which can be connected to your TV or HDTV (they go for about 30 - that would be around $40, depending on which features you want). Rip the DVDs onto your computer, put the episodes on an external hard drive and connect the drive to your media player, and there you go Smile Screw region coding, licensing and video resolution.

Ela
My nephew ripped them to my computer and now I can play them with VLC Player, which doesn't ask for a region.

littlesue
Ela wrote:

My nephew ripped them to my computer and now I can play them with VLC Player, which doesn't ask for a region.

Hooray!!
Will you join us tomorrow and rewatch Cygnus Alpha?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Ela
littlesue wrote:

Ela wrote:

Hooray!!
Will you join us tomorrow and rewatch Cygnus Alpha?

The timing of the group watches is often when I'm at work, so I haven't been able to make it so far. I'll see if I can in the future, though.

Ela
Well, although my nephew was able to rip the first DVD of my Blake's 7 set, I haven't been able to rip the rest. So I'm reconsidering my options. I'd really like to get some of the classic Doctor Who that's really expensive in region 1 and really cheap in region 2, as well as watching my B7 DVDs. I have a TV with a built in DVD player right now, not sure if it would let me connect a second region free one or not. Anyone have any ideas about it?

JustBrad
Does the TV have auxiliary input jacks labeled Audio And Video?

Typically the Video jack is yellow, the audio jacks red and white if they are stereo. Mono audio jacks can vary in color.

Sometimes these are in the back, sometimes on the side, it depends on the TV.

If in doubt, if you want to take a picture of them, you can PM me and I'll give you my email address to send the pic to. I'd be happy to take a loolk.

Ela
Thanks. I'll take a look when I have some downtime. Need to work on a project for work, so it won't be right away, My goal is to get the project done by Sunday to take it into work by Monday.

Thanks for the offer. I'll PM if I can't figure it out myself.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,110,160 unique visits since 8th January 2014