Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 2
meegat39, trevor travis

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
B7: Mediasphere
Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Wait not even Year Of Intelligent Tigers?

It's quite possible that I have not read that one, as by that time I had already become deeply disillusioned with the direction and content of the Eighth Doctor Adventures range; Fitz Kreiner was pretty much the opposite of what I look for in a regular character and their personal story, and he went on to be one of the longest running companions. Once the books had become mired in arcs and continuity, and likewise the regular characters, I eventually stopped even collecting them and stuck to the stories featuring Doctors 1-7...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

The latest 6 full cast audios featured Dayna, or at least mention of Dayna in all of them. Pretty neat trick when you have no actress playing Dayna on the discs. and they are all Dayna-centric, if you will.

No, I don't see the story as Dayna-centric if the character is not present; it's centred on a search for the character, not the character herself. Anyway, I'm quite enjoying s2 of the audio dramas - don't put me off them! Grin

I won't, LOL. I happen to love the series.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Gauda Cheese
I'm still processing the fact someone doesn't like Dayna. Does not compute. Oops
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Joe Dredd
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Travisina wrote:
I wonder if perhaps Josette objected to her image appearing on the cover? Dayna's not on any of the covers of the full cast audios, even though she is central to the story.

Weird. I thought if you were on show that they have licence to use your face (as it was back then anyway).

I thought that too. It looks a little odd seeing only the four of them on the cover, though I do like that they've tried to keep the diminishing-row-of-cast idea.

Imagine if BF do an S4 book - there might only be the three of them lined up!

Joe Dredd
Maybe they could add Dayna's silhouette, but filled in with a teleport effect as if she's beaming away.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

I'm still processing the fact someone doesn't like Dayna...

She's my least favourite television character; I really can't find anything about her to like even a little bit. Not saying she's a bad or unlikable character, before anyone adds interpretation to my feelings, but I personally strongly dislike her.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Gauda Cheese

Gauda Cheese wrote:

She's my least favourite television character; I really can't find anything about her to like even a little bit. Not saying she's a bad or unlikable character, before anyone adds interpretation to my feelings, but I personally strongly dislike her.

I'll just have to love her enough for both of us.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I'll just have to love her enough for both of us.

Lol Happy

trevor travis
A Dayna-centric story from the pen of Kate Orman? Sounds good to me. Cool

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

A Dayna-centric story from the pen of Kate Orman? Sounds good to me. Cool

Heaven really.

MLPasterisk
Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:
A mini interview about it here as well as the cover. Weirdly though they mention its a Dayna centric book (YAY!) but she isn't on the cover!

I wonder if perhaps Josette objected to her image appearing on the cover? Dayna's not on any of the covers of the full cast audios, even though she is central to the story.

I would say her absence is central to the story. It would be very misleading to have her on the front of the CDs when Josette Simon declined to take part.

I think it's odd that Dayna is not on the front of the book though. I think either all of the crew should be on there, or they should miss them out altogether and just go with the main Liberator image.

Last Space Rat
Im just hoping the book has been proofread properly! Personally I thought Dayna was a great character.

MockingbirdGirl
Last Space Rat wrote:

Im just hoping the book has been proofread properly!

I admire your optimism!

BradPaula
Just got word from Big Finish that they're shipping Mediasphere now. Waiting anxiously for it and hope it's a cut above what has already been published by Big Finish in the Blake's 7 range.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceresearcher
Anniew wrote:

does B F get the full amount if we order through Amazon instead of BF? I have always ordered through BF so that they get maximum revenue.

If life sends you a lemon, make some lemonade with it. Smile

Spaceresearcher
BradPaula wrote:

Just got word from Big Finish that they're shipping Mediasphere now. Waiting anxiously for it and hope it's a cut above what has already been published by Big Finish in the Blake's 7 range.

Terrific. Looking forward to it's arrival.

Anniew
I've downloaded it. It's rather good I think though I've only gulped it not properly read it yet. The crew dynamics seem spot on. It has an interesting idea to explore. It gives a nice perspective on Dayna too. Hope you enjoy it!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

MLPasterisk
Didn't think much of this one I'm afraid.

With SPOILER warning...

The theme of the novel is the way the media manipulates the public through careful editing of footage. Unfortunately it's not exactly a very profound theme and the treatment of it lacks much subtlety. You could illustrate shameless manipulation of footage a lot more easily by watching the average episode of X Factor !

The dialogue certainly captures the regular characters very well. Unfortunately the things that the plot requires them to do are ridiculous. I just could not believe in Dayna as a pop star or Vila writing scripts for a spoof TV version of Blake's 7.

Dayna gets a hefty chunk of the action here so it's Tarrant's turn to fulfill the "left behind to operate the teleport" role.

Unfortunately the novels have mostly failed to match the standard of the Big Finish audios. There's no "coming soon" at the back of this book so I suspect that this could be the last Blake's 7 novel ever published.

Anniew
After Sargophagus , Pasterisk? She'd LOVE it! And Vila is a natural script writer. He makes up stories all the time!

And please don't be right about the end of Blakes7 at Big Finish!!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
"Oh, so I've fallen in with a renegade band of superstars."

It's taken me a while to get going with Mediasphere. The story starts with Dayna working on the 'sphere, which I found hard going and made me put the book aside. Having picked it up again I've made it to (and through) the flashback to Liberator explaining the set-up, and am enjoying it enough to keep going.

So far I'm only about 70 pages in but the crew dialogue rings true to the characters and there's some good lines that I particularly liked. I also like that there's a bit more substance to Vila getting access to various places than the usual techno-handwaving explanation. (Not that I dislike the technological stuff!)

Being a fan of old telly (as you can probably tell from the Spotted thread), I'm also enjoying the little references to other shows that the authors have thrown in. So far we've had the Professionals ("Elite Squad", with limping commander giving a version of Cowley's 'smelling faintly of roses' speech from (I think) Old Dogs New Tricks), Dad's Army ("Don't tell him, ----!") and the Goodies ("space boffin with huge muttonchop sideburns", etc). I'm not sure if I believe the Federation would have TV like this (I haven't thought about it enough to have an opinion) but I'm enjoying them regardless.

The amalgam sitcom is called "Liberation!". I'm trying to decide if this is a nod to the book by Alan Stevens & Fiona Moore. If not something like "Are You Being Liberated?" would've worked better; given the show is Federation propaganda a title like that would imply a note of doubt about what the characters were really doing.

Now, back to the book!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,898,543 unique visits since 8th January 2014