Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Newbie Audio Question
timdalton007
Being in the US where the series isn't available on DVD and having only seen the first four episodes on VHS before the local library got rid of their tapes, I've been a bit hesitant about approaching the Blake's 7 audio. Having been convinced at a Big Finish panel at Chicago TARDIS back in November by a couple of forum members and the Big Finish guests to listen to the first Liberator Chronicles and Warship, and having enjoyed them both, I'm wondering what next to listen that won't leave me scratching my head and wondering if I've missed something. For example, are the new full-cast audios good for someone who hasn't seen much of the TV series?

timdalton007

Lentila
Hello TimDalton 007!
I would recommend Chronicles Vol 5, in that case - two very dark tales and a fun adventure in the middle. I don't think any of them require much knowledge of B7 history, and all three stories are very enjoyable. The last one, in particular, is very well-written and performed.

However, I do think that Big Finish are writing mainly for old fans of the tv series, and I feel they sometimes try to prove their commitment to long-term fans (and deep knowledge of the show) by referencing or anticipating past and future events in the series timeline (if that makes sense). I think you will miss out on certain references and resonances if you don't see more of the tv series. Have a look for it on Youtube. It's really good!

I think the full cast audios will be better for newbies - but, aside from Warship, we've only had one so far - so it's hard to tell.

It would be quite interesting to hear the opinions of a fan who knows the Big Finish audios better than the tv series, though ...

JustBrad
timdalton007 wrote:

Having been convinced at a Big Finish panel at Chicago TARDIS back in November by a couple of forum members...

timdalton007

I remember you. Waves!

If you've seen the first four eps, you have a pretty good handle on the characters. Some stories, like Armageddon Storm, may leave you feeling like you're missing something if you don't have the back story from Countdown (S2) and Rumors of Death (S3), but for the most part you should be able to enjoy the BF works until you get hopelessly addicted and order the DVD's and a region free DVD player to play them on. (As little as $70.00 on Amazon).

Welcome aboard the Crazy Train.

BradPaula
@timdalton007: Hi again. Remember us? The two people asking Big Finish all the Blake's 7 questions at the TARDIS con panel? I was wearing the Team Liberator shirt. Glad you joined. Hope to see you on the Forum a lot. We love to have more Americans on board with us! Cheers- Paula

*Waves*
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
TD007, love the avatar.

I guess after End Of Time, we have proof that James Bond is not only a Time Lord, but a very important Time Lord. Smile

BradPaula
i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/1002003_10151812847493457_667756627_n_zps74d8312b.jpg

@timdalton007: Here's a photo from TARDIS con to refresh your memory of the Big Finish panel we all attended. That's Brad and me to the left of you. I'm so glad I mentioned Horizon to you and that you checked us out and joined. Good luck finding the rest of Blake's 7. Have you thought of looking for the video tapes? Perhaps that would be easier than looking for the DVD's and a multi-regional player like we needed in order to watch our British region dvd's. All the best! -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

President Solvite
Welcome Tim,

Personally speaking if you're a new fan I would suggest either the NEW BF audio fractures and Lib Chronciles Vol1 & 2 since they're from the first series.. Although it would probably help if you can watch some first season B7 on Youtube or similar.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
timdalton007
BradPaula wrote:

@timdalton007: Hi again. Remember us? The two people asking Big Finish all the Blake's 7 questions at the TARDIS con panel? I was wearing the Team Liberator shirt. Glad you joined. Hope to see you on the Forum a lot. We love to have more Americans on board with us! Cheers- Paula

*Waves*

BradPaula wrote:

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/1002003_10151812847493457_667756627_n_zps74d8312b.jpg

@timdalton007: Here's a photo from TARDIS con to refresh your memory of the Big Finish panel we all attended. That's Brad and me to the left of you. I'm so glad I mentioned Horizon to you and that you checked us out and joined. Good luck finding the rest of Blake's 7. Have you thought of looking for the video tapes? Perhaps that would be easier than looking for the DVD's and a multi-regional player like we needed in order to watch our British region dvd's. All the best! -Paula

I do indeed remember you both Brad and Paula! Thank you so much for mentioning the forum and convincing me to give the audios a try. I recieved a multi-regional DVD player a couple of years as a Christmas present but mis-placed it during a move and have only now located it again. So I've been looking into getting the DVDs as the cost for each VHS tape differs (some are little are $5-$10 while others are in the $50-$60 range). In the meantime, I've also found the two Trevor Hoyle novelizations of Series A episodes I bought sometime back as well.

Lentila wrote:
It would be quite interesting to hear the opinions of a fan who knows the Big Finish audios better than the tv series, though ...

Well you'll soon have your chance. I'm one of the hosts of a podcast called Stories From The Vortex, which reviews the Big Finish Docotr Who output. We'll also be looking at some of the Big Finish non-Who output and after being convinced in Chicago to try out the first Liberator Chronicles and Warship, I suggested to my co-hosts that we should do those as our first non-Who episode. So you'll be able to hear the thoughts of two people new to the series (myself and Mary, who'd never seen any of the series before listening to the first Liberator Chronicles) and someone whose been a fan for years (Robert who lives in Australia). That should be out early next month.

timdalton007

JustBrad
I look forward to it. Keep us (all) posted.

Lentila
That'll be good. Looking forward to it.

Spaceresearcher
Absolutely everything Big Finish from start to finish. That would be Liberator Chronicles Volumes 1 and 2, then Warship, then the rest of the Chronicles to Volume 5, then the new full cast audio Fractures and soon to be released Liberator Chronicles Volume 6, then onwards as the terrific series progresses.

There are a few other audio adventures that are superb, the main ones being 'Logic Of Empire' and 'Mark Of Kaine'. Both are really good.

Then if your waiting for other B7 audio, you may want to check out 'The Sevenfold Crown' and 'The Syndeton Experiment' for laughs, to hear the cast having fun and as a shining example of how much better the other audio adventures are.

Enjoy.

timdalton007
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Absolutely everything Big Finish from start to finish. That would be Liberator Chronicles Volumes 1 and 2, then Warship, then the rest of the Chronicles to Volume 5, then the new full cast audio Fractures and soon to be released Liberator Chronicles Volume 6, then onwards as the terrific series progresses.

There are a few other audio adventures that are superb, the main ones being 'Logic Of Empire' and 'Mark Of Kaine'. Both are really good.

Then if your waiting for other B7 audio, you may want to check out 'The Sevenfold Crown' and 'The Syndeton Experiment' for laughs, to hear the cast having fun and as a shining example of how much better the other audio adventures are.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice. On the suggestion of someone else, I ended up listening to The Liberator Chronicles Volume 5 next and hugely enjoyed it. I posted my thoughts about it on its thread if you're interested.

JustBrad wrote:

Lentila wrote:

Well it's finally out! Episode 7 (and yes that was a deliberate choice of episode number) of The Stories From The Vortex podcast makes its first excursion into Big Finish's non-Doctor Who output as we take a look at two release's from their Blake's 7 range: The Liberator Chronicles Volume 1 and Warship. Topics discussed include how newbie friendly these audios are from Matthew and Mary while Robert gives the perspective of a long time fan, why “enhanced audiobooks” may be a misnomer in the case of The Liberator Chronicles and more. You can find the episode via our website http://storiesfro...for-7.html or on iTunes http://itunes.app...d776733067 Happy listening!

timdalton007
Edited by timdalton007 on 05 February 2014 09:12:51

Natural Stupidity
I'm working my way through the DVDs at the moment... it's been a few years since I've watched B7 in its entirety so it's well overdue. I'll wait until I'm done before getting stuck into the Big Finish audios. I'm itching to listen though!
"Oh, I'm sorry I missed that. That's the kind of natural stupidity no amount of training could ever hope to match."

meegat39
timdalton007 wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice. On the suggestion of someone else, I ended up listening to The Liberator Chronicles Volume 5 next and hugely enjoyed it. I posted my thoughts about it on its thread if you're interested.

JustBrad wrote:

Lentila wrote:

Well it's finally out! Episode 7 (and yes that was a deliberate choice of episode number) of The Stories From The Vortex podcast makes its first excursion into Big Finish's non-Doctor Who output as we take a look at two release's from their Blake's 7 range: The Liberator Chronicles Volume 1 and Warship. Topics discussed include how newbie friendly these audios are from Matthew and Mary while Robert gives the perspective of a long time fan, why “enhanced audiobooks” may be a misnomer in the case of The Liberator Chronicles and more. You can find the episode via our website http://storiesfro...for-7.html or on iTunes http://itunes.app...d776733067 Happy listening!

timdalton007

I listened to your podcast yesterday whilst getting ready for my birthday party. I really enjoyed it and was pleased to hear two fellow fans mentioned by name in it too! It's really good to know that a person with little or no exposure to B7 can listen to these stories and still really enjoy them, to the point where they may decide to watch the original episodes.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

timdalton007
meegat39 wrote:I listened to your podcast yesterday whilst getting ready for my birthday party. I really enjoyed it and was pleased to hear two fellow fans mentioned by name in it too! It's really good to know that a person with little or no exposure to B7 can listen to these stories and still really enjoy them, to the point where they may decide to watch the original episodes.

First off a belated happy birthday to you! Glad to hear you enjoyed the podcast and thanks for the comments. As I said in the podcast, I'm very grateful to Brad and Paula, along with the Big Finish chaps at the panel, for convincing me to listen to these after all. I feel confident in saying we'll be coming back to Blake's 7 in the future. Smile

timdalton007

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.40 seconds
9,929,897 unique visits since 8th January 2014