Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch Oz - Dr Who: The Space Museum
Gauda Cheese
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Nice cliffhanger

Another Spooner rewrite!

He's gotta salvage something from this!
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

trevor travis
Philosophical discussion on the nature of changing time... parts of this are very good.

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Nice cliffhanger

Best lead-in to any following story in the Hartnell era.

trevor travis

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Nice cliffhanger

Another Spooner rewrite!

That's the job of the story/script editor... to make improvements to a poor script.

trevor travis
The Doctor has more problems with buttons in the TARDIS.. he really needs to take it in for a 10 billion light years service.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Nice cliffhanger

Another Spooner rewrite!

That's the job of the story/script editor... to make improvements to a poor script.

But do you think it is an improvement? The original, unused final scene was quite good in principle and would have been interesting to see; especially as it resolved the time track jump in episode one.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Oh wow, what a cliffhanger... a return to Skaro and the Daleks!!

trevor travis
[url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1012&pid=50371#post_50371][b]Spaceship Dispatcher But do you think it is an improvement? The original, unused final scene was quite good in principle and would have been interesting to see; especially as it resolved the time track jump in episode one.

SD, I appreciate you'd make your mind up after listening to Glyn Jones on the commentary. But surely there was a reason that Dennis Spooner had to make the changes in the first place? Dennis Spooner is a writer with a top-notch CV. For example, he wrote my very favourite Hartnell story, "The Time Meddler". I'd tend to go with him knowing what he was doing, but being unable to completely salvage a poor script.

Tyce
Just to confirm - we are 'not' on next week, right?

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

[url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1012&pid=50371#post_50371][b]Spaceship Dispatcher But do you think it is an improvement? The original, unused final scene was quite good in principle and would have been interesting to see; especially as it resolved the time track jump in episode one.

SD, I appreciate you'd make your mind up after listening to Glyn Jones on the commentary. But surely there was a reason that Dennis Spooner had to make the changes in the first place? Dennis Spooner is a writer with a top-notch CV. For example, he wrote my very favourite Hartnell story, "The Time Meddler". I'd tend to go with him knowing what he was doing, but being unable to completely salvage a poor script.

Its a pity Spooner couldn't kick Pinfield out of his directors chair and make improvements there too.

Gauda Cheese
Tyce wrote:

Correct.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Its a pity Spooner couldn't kick Pinfield out of his directors chair and make improvements there too.

Agreed; imo even though both the draft and finished scripts had problems, the direction is the real issue.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Tyce
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Tyce wrote:

Correct.

Cool.

Should I put Headhunter back a week too?

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

...But surely there was a reason that Dennis Spooner had to make the changes in the first place? Dennis Spooner is a writer with a top-notch CV. For example, he wrote my very favourite Hartnell story, "The Time Meddler". I'd tend to go with him knowing what he was doing, but being unable to completely salvage a poor script.

Ah... a very different view to how he is seen by a lot of Avengers fandom, in terms of being a script editor/'showrunner' at least; nobody doubts his talent at writing original scripts, just his attitude to those of other writers... Grin Grin

trevor travis

Ah... a very different view to how he is seen by a lot of Avengers fandom, in terms of being a script editor/'showrunner' at least; nobody doubts his talent at writing original scripts, just his attitude to those of other writers... Grin Grin

And yet he did a magnificent job when taking over writing the latter episodes of the Daleks' Masterplan, and also when he wrote the final draft of Power Of The Daleks, my favourite B&W Doctor Who story.

Suggests he was very good when dealing with other's people's work, when that work was already up-to-standard. With the Space Museum, it was perhaps already beyond salvaging.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Suggests he was very good when dealing with other's people's work, when that work was already up-to-standard. With the Space Museum, it was perhaps already beyond salvaging.

But in which regard, having recently rewatched the story, would you say that the script was not up to standard? The direction is non-existent to the point that you can see actors improvising scenes in the final cut, the costume and make-up designers had a bit of a nightmare, the sets and props suffered from it being budget restricted to pay for The Web Planet and The Chase either side, and the plot about the time distortions was left unresolved because it was cut for the Dalek trailer in episode four. Excluding all of these issues and analysing only the plot/dialogue as written in either draft, what would you say was beyond salvaging?

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

And yet he did a magnificent job when taking over writing the latter episodes of the Daleks' Masterplan, and also when he wrote the final draft of Power Of The Daleks, my favourite B&W Doctor Who story.

Ah, two of my favourite stories from s2-4... Grin

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Exactly! Proof that he could do marvellous stuff starting from other people's ideas, as long as those ideas were strong enough Wink

Dennis Spooner is one of my favourites of the early Who writers, along with David Whitaker, Terry Nation and John Lucarotti. All came up with some terrific stuff in the first couple of seasons.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Exactly! Proof that he could do marvellous stuff starting from other people's ideas, as long as those ideas were strong enough Wink

Masterplan does not really count though, in terms of rewriting other people's scripts, because he actually wrote the episodes. The criticism generally surrounds his rewriting of finished work submitted by other people when he wasn't the writer, which was the issue with this week's rewatch episode raised by the original writer: arbitrary cutting of scenes that were needed for the story to make sense! Personally, as a viewer only, I'm a Spooner fan as you are; but if he had a flaw in how he worked with people in a certain role then I accept that too, especially if it's supported by former colleagues with first hand experience.

trevor travis
SD, but Power Of The Daleks saw him working on David Whitaker's first draft scripts and the result is something wonderful.

I think the main problem with The Space Museum is that the original writer (Glyn Jones) wasn't a good writer, which is supported by the fact that none of Spooner's successors employed him again on DW, and also that he realised that himself, and then turned to acting instead.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.46 seconds
9,885,150 unique visits since 8th January 2014